– Là tính từ, mang nghĩa là phần lớn như “majority”, the “largest part”, “nearly all of”. Ví dụ:
- Most cars have four doors.
- Most people would like to be rich.
- I have been to most countries in Europe, but not all.
– Most cũng được dùng như một đại từ với nghĩa tương tự:
- Most of my friends can speak English.
- I spent most of the $100 you gave me. I’ve got about $15 left.
- Some people like to make trouble, but most just want a quiet life.
Cách dùng này khác hoàn toàn với cách dùng “most” trong so sánh hơn nhất của tính từ và phó từ:
- big, bigger, the biggest
- important, more important, the most important
– Là phó từ, với nghĩa là gần như – “nearly”.
- I almost failed the exam. (but I didn’t fail)
- He almost died. (but he didn’t die)
- She’s almost twenty years old. (she’ll be 20 next month)
- He’s almost two metres tall. (he’s 1m 97cm)
- He was almost dead. (but the doctors managed to save him)
- The hotel was almost empty. (there were only 5 guests)
- The house is built almost entirely of wood. (but there is a small amount of brick)
- It’s almost time to go home. (in 10 minutes)
- Pigs can eat almost anything. (but not everything)
- I know almost everyone here. (but not the three people over there)
- Almost everything was destroyed in the tsunami. (but a few buildings still stand)
Đôi khi chúng ta sẽ bị nhầm lẫn với “almost all”, nhưng “almost all” = almost + all
Ví dụ : I know almost everyone here.
Đồng nghĩa với: I know almost all the people here. (gần như tất cả mọi người)